HURT AT WORK? CALL MICHAEL L. PESCATORE, ESQ. !
In New Jersey, you generally cannot file a civil lawsuit against your employer or co-employee when you are injured on the job or develop an or develop an occupational disease. However, employers are required to obtain Workers’ Compensation insurance which provides:
- Medical bill payment for reasonable and necessary treatment,
- Temporary disability benefits for when you are out of work and under active medical treatment, and
- Compensation upon a finding of the nature and extent of your permanent injury.
While it sounds simple in theory, the Workers’ Compensation system has gotten more and more complex, and you need the dedicated, experienced workers’ compensation attorney on your side.
CAN I SUE A THIRD PARTY FOR MY WORKPLACE INJURY?
If you are injured at work, not by the negligence of your employer or the conduct of a co-employee, but by the negligence of a third party, you may have a negligence case against that third party in civil court. These cases are called third-party cases. You are allowed to proceed with both a workers’ compensation case in the workers’ compensation division and a third party case in state court.
Examples of when these types of cases might occur are when a person gets injured on someone else’s property at work, a car accident while at work, a construction worker hurt because of another contractor or an employee injured by equipment.
I can help you determine if this type of case exists and represent you for both the workers’ compensation case as well as any potential 3rd party claim.
HOW TO PROTECT A WORKERS’ COMPENSATION CLAIM
What to do if you are injured at work:
- Report any accident and injury immediately to your employer and insist on a written incident report
- Seek medical attention ASAP!
- take notes about your accident with the names and addresses of any witnesses or people involved
- Contact a workers’ compensation attorney ASAP
Workers’ compensation cases can be tricky, especially if they occur on the way to work, on the way home from work, or during your lunch hour. No matter what the circumstances of your accident, you have rights, and you deserve to know what those rights are… and I am here to help
pescatorelaw.com 24/7 in New Jersey (973) 704-7376